Running to drug store to find the relief from sunburn? Today I came here with a good news for you, for all beach lovers who love to soak the sun rays or the people who have to be in the open atmosphere during hot sunny day or the school going children who have to come home during daytime facing the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
There are various effective home remedies for sunburn available which could relief your symptoms of sunburn.So now on, enjoy your daily dose of sun rays without worrying of sunburn.
Home remedies for sunburn
1.Take a cool water bath
Best way to soothe your sunburned skin is to take a cool water bath. Believe me, you will find relief in your sunburn’ symptoms very soon. Though alone water is good for normal skin but to take a more effective bath you could check out the following natural things which you can add to your bath.
Apple Cider Vinegar bath
Preparation: You have to add one cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath.
- It will balance the pH of your skin, your sunburned skin.
- Fast healing.
Preparation: Simply add small amount of blended oatmeal to lukewarm water. Use it to take a bath. After bath, pat your body with a dry towel.
- It will relieve you from itchiness and redness due to sunburn
Use lavender or chamomile essential oil
Preparation: Add 6-8 drops of lavender or chamomile essential oil to your bath. To mix it (drops of essential oil) throughout the water, avoid adding drops directly to the water. Firstly, add the drops to a capful of milk or you can use Epsom salt at the place of milk and then add it to your bath.
Benefit: It will definitely relieve you from stinging and pain due to sunburn.
Feeling irritation or severe redness due to sunburn? Add two cups of baking soda to your bath, it will definitely relieve your symptoms.
Tips: Avoid using soap or perfumes in your bath as it will dry your already dried skin due to sunburn.
2. Chilled cucumber
Easily available at home, cucumber is one of the best natural remedies for sunburn. For this, you just need a chilled cucumber.
Preparation: Mash one cucumber and squeeze into juice.
- Apply this juice of cucumber to the affected areas and leave it for 20 minutes. After that, wash it with clean water.
- You can use the paste of cucumber at the place of its juice.
- Antioxidant and analgesic properties of cucumber will heal the inflammation due to sunburn.
- It will keep your skin moisturized thus helps you to relieve the pain due to itchiness associated with sunburn.
3. Refrigerated fresh Aloe Vera gel
Best to use in all skincare remedies, Aloe Vera is also very effective to relieve the symptoms of sunburn.
Preparation and use:
- Pluck one or two petals of Aloe Vera plant and extract the Aloe Vera gel.
- Refrigerate this freshly extracted gel for about 30 minutes.
- Apply this refrigerated gel to the affected areas and leave it for one hour and after that wash it with cold water.
- Being a good moisturizer, it moisturizes the sunburned skin.
- Its cooling effects provide fast relief from pain and inflammation.
4. Freshly brewed black tea
Black tea having antioxidants properties is proved to be an effective home remedies for sunburn. Tea provides the protection against the harmful UV rays and help to reduce the inflammation caused by sunburn.
- Soak 2-3 teabags in hot water for few minutes. You can use tea leaves if tea bags are not available.
- After that remove the tea bags and wait until the left-liquid cool down.
- Apply this liquid to the affected skin with the help of cotton. Let it be for 10-15 minutes.
- After that, wash it with normal water.
Alcohol with its cooling properties provides fast relief in the sunburn.
How to use: Just apply it on the affected burnt skin with the help of cotton and see the results. Its cooling effects will definitely ease your symptoms of sunburn.
6. Dab refrigerated milk
Lactic acid and fat present in milk, well known for their soothing properties are very effective in sunburn.
How to use: Soak cotton in the refrigerated milk and dab it over the burnt areas. Leave it for around 20 minutes and then rinse off with clean and cold water.
Tip: Fat is very important ingredients of this home remedy that’s why use whole milk to find the best result. Skim milk having less fat content is not so effective.
You can also apply yoghurt to the burnt skin. It will cool down the burnt skin and provide you relief in inflammation.
7. Potato juice:
Worldwide available potatoes are also very effective to help you in sunburn.
How to use:
- Take two or three potatoes, wash them and cut them down in to small pieces.
- Grind these pieces and turn them in to potato juice.
- Apply this potato juice over the sunburn affected skin.
- Let it be dried. After that rinse off with normal water.
- Potato having starchy property, will absorb the excess heat from the burnt skin.
- Its cooling effects will relieve you from stinging pain caused by sunburn.
Honey having antibacterial properties has been used for healing the wound for many years. Thus, honey is not used for just breakfast, it can be used as a home remedies for sunburn.
How to use: Apply raw honey directly on your burn areas. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with clear water.
- Inflammatory compounds found in honey will help to calm the affected skin.
- It will accelerate the creation of new cells thus speed up the recovery.
9. Cold compress:
Cold compress provides instant relief in pain, itchiness and inflammation caused by sunburn. You just need to have a towel dipped in cold water.
How to use: Dip the towel in ice cold water and apply it on the affected areas. Try this remedy for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Increase your liquid intake:
For getting rid of dried skin due to sunburn, keep your skin hydrated. Keep drinking liquid including water and juices. Avoid carbonated drinks.
Stay protected from these harmful UV rays by using sunscreen lotion to the exposed skin areas and if affected, use above-given home remedies for sunburn.
Hope now you know how to get rid of sunburn and apply above mention remedies for the same.